Friday, June 19, 2009

Wear Sunscreen

It's funny how trials in our lives make us stop and reevaluate our priorities and really check up on ourselves. I just have to say that I am so thankful for a loving father in heaven who watches out for me and sends little angels (in the form of friends and family) to hold our hand when we are scared and who make us laugh when we're feeling blue.

That being said... quick update. I got my test results in and I am good! No cancer or anything! Some of you may be thinking "What?! What are you talking about?!" Well I have decided to finally blog about my 2 week somewhat scary saga.

So here it is. A couple weeks ago, I was home for my little brother's baptism, and my mom noticed a little mole on my back that was a bit darker than normal. She and Rob made me promise to get it looked at. No big deal. I'm a young whipper snapper right? So the following monday I made an appointment to get it looked at. I wasn't really nervous at all because I figured it would be fine.

As I sat in the doctor's office, we discussed my family history of skin cancer and the ABC's of moles. It only took the doctor one quick look to say "oh! yep, we should get that removed and tested right away." I was in shock. She told me about the procedure for removing it (which I am very disappointed to say involved needles to inject me full of numbing juice....no, no... mackenzie does NOT do needles).

I was okay untill I left the health center and gave the news to Rob and my mom. Then the tears and fears came. My grandpa and one of my aunts died of skin cancer and it scares me quite a bit. I thought *no way. I'm barely 21. I shouldn't have to worry about this stuff yet.* The majority of me kept thinking about how I havent had kids yet and what would happen to my family especially Rob if something were to happen to me. A little dramatic I know. But I was worried.
Plus as I said, I do NOT do well with needles. It was pretty difficult to focus on school and everything else that was going on. I was going to blog sooner but I didn't wanna worry anyone for no reason.

Anyway, besides the horrible needles, the procedure was mostly painless. The doc sent it off to get tested and I endured 10 days of yucky itchy stitches. This morning I went in for the follow up and sucher removal. I am totally clear! They called it an Irritated Intradermal Melanocytic Nevus...which basically means an irritated but NON cancerous mole. I'm healing up quick and I don't have anything to worry about. The sun is out today in celebration of my happy news! Don't forget to WEAR SUNSCREEN!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Im so glad everything worked out! Thats really scary and I totally hear ya on the needles thing.. uhh scary! I pass out every time...

    ReplyDelete